Transportation Club of Atlanta Mission Statement
Our Mission is to promote greater knowledge of transportation and logistics among our members by holding discussions of transportation related matters at all regular meetings. To foster and promote the exchange of information, experience, ideas and cooperation among our members and guests. To promote academic and practical transportations advancement by providing scholarships to students who have interest in joining the other professionals in making transportation a lifetime career. To develop an appreciation of the transportation profession as a motivating factor in industry and commerce. Move to formulate programs and encourage justifiable professional consciousness among those engaged in transportation management. Above all encourage young people of ability to enter and remain in the field of transportation as a life work.
Our earliest records indicate that The Transportation Club of Atlanta was organized August 1, 1902 and was incorporated on September 3, 1902. The “Club House” was located on the eighth floor of the Walton building. The opening date was October 11, 1902. After several years of growth, in 1913 the Club had approximately 320 resident members and 160 non-resident members. At the time, annual dues for the resident members were $24 and $10 for non-resident members.
The records of the years between the term of office of M.O. Jackson and G.E. Boulineau (1913 – 1921) have been lost. This is most likely attributed to the lack of club activity during World War I.
The Club was reorganized under the name of the Traffic Club of Atlanta on June 10, 1921 The name was changed back to the Transportation Club of Atlanta shortly after the end of World War II (1947). The first president of the newly reorganized club was G.E. Boulineau, who served the club for two complete terms and retired from office with an outstanding record of achievement. During his administration, Associated Traffic Clubs of America was formed (now known as Transportation Clubs International). It was formed in large part by the assistance of President Boulineau, which lead to his election to the Board of Directors and his attendance at the first national convention of Traffic and Transportation Clubs held in St. Louis in 1923.
The club was an all male organization and membership was predominately railroad and industry members. There were also a small number of Freight Association members. In addition to a very active traffic study group, the organization was also very social. Such events included barbecues and fishing trips. Members of the Interstate Commerce Commission were frequent speakers at events. The written records of A.E. Clift, President – Central of Georgia Railway (1930), provide a wonderful insight into the organization at the time. He wrote, “ The Transportation Club affords a meeting ground under agreeable conditions, usually the luncheon or dinner table, for men whose contacts might otherwise be confined to the office interview or to the exchange of correspondence”. “Unless we know each other, their business relations are apt to be marked by a certain degree of friction, for business can very easily be considered in terms of conflict”. “The Transportation Club is of great value in promoting acquaintanceship which under proper conditions ripens into friendship.” The same can be said today as we transition from paper correspondence to an electronic communication.
As 1931 came to a close, the club boasted 200 resident members and 14 non-resident members. The make up of the membership ultimately remained the same until after World War II. With the construction of Interstate Highway system, the motor carrier industry moved from regional status, to transcontinental carriers that were fully capable of competing with the once dominant railroads. Distribution centers for various industries were built in close proximity to the new, limited access, highway system.
As transportation changed so did the membership of the club. Motor carriers and allied service members now competed for many leadership positions within the club. The club responded to this by establishing separate categories for Directors, by classification of membership. The President was selected, in rotation, from industry, rail, motor carriers, and allied services. This system worked well for over thirty years. During this period, the club opened its’ membership to women in the transportation field. The first year (1981) over twenty women signed on as resident members. Our first woman president was Carol Stanley of Georgia Marble Co., who served from 1986-1987. She led the way for future presidents, Andrea Heresy in 1989 and Alice Lunsford in 1991. After her term of office, Alice Lunsford remained on the Board of Directors and became the clubs prime advocate for career development, membership growth, and financial responsibility. Alice is no longer with us, but in order to pay tribute to her dedication to the club, the Alice Lunsford Memorial Scholarship was created in her memory and is sponsored by her former company, Trans-Craft Inc.
As the 1980’s began, they revealed the next big change in how the transportation community does business. The year 1980 will forever be know as the year the transportation community was turned upside down, due to deregulation of the industry. Within a short time, the railroads completely reorganized their sales and marketing structure, by reducing their sales staff to one or two individuals and allowing Intermodal Marketing companies and other third party marketers to sell their services. Due to these changes, the railroad industry that was once so dominant has seen its influence in the Transportation Club decrease. The motor carrier industry has stepped in to fill the void and they are now the dominant industry of the club. They are followed closely by Third Party Logistics companies and transportation property brokers.
During the nineties the face of business changed. Sales Forces were streamlined, and Industry downsized. While much business is transacted t hrough e-commerce, and office support i s minimal, our members were stretched to make efficient use of time. While the available pool of members dwindled the Transportation Club of Atlanta boasts over 300 local members and 200 non-resident members that are contacted via email for the educational workshops and social functions. Speakers of recent years include such names as James Welch, President, CEO, Yellow, and Jeff Crowe, Chairman, Landstar.
Over the years, the Transportation Club of Atlanta has provided social activities that allow the friendly interchange of ideas between its’ members. Many long-term friendships have been developed and are still in place today. Our scholarships are sought out by dozens of qualified students each and every year. Our educational programs are designed to assist our members in developing a greater understanding of the role transportation plays in the lives of everyone.
Our club is over one hundred years old and through the good years and lean times, we have survived because we fill a need and service to our members. As the oldest transportation club in the country, we should all be proud to be a part of this great organization!